Greetings!

Welcome to Superoceras, a blog about science and natural history, slightly biased towards paleontology and zoology, but inclusive of all sciences. Started in October of 2009, my goal is to communicate scientific knowledge (and the occasional piece of nonsense) in an informative and entertaining manner. Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, concerns, or criticism at superoceras(at)gmail(dot)com, and follow me on Twitter @Superoceras for all that and more in 140 characters or less!

Monday, November 02, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Yes, I know. This should have been up 48 hours ago, and for that, I apologize. But Halloween is a busy time for me, and I didn't have the chance to make this post when I should have. Hopefully, you still enjoy it.

This year for my jack 'o lantern, I thought to myself, "What's really, really, scary?". And the only response I could come up with was, "Being attacked by a theropod dinosaur." Taking a visual cue from the wonderful mount at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, I present "Allosaurus v. Barosaurus", in Halloween style.

I know that it's probably extremely difficult to see what's happening there. My iPhone camera does not do very well in the dark and it didn't pick up the light coming out of the back of the pumpkin on the head or tail tip of the sauropod very well. They looked really good in person though. And you can probably make out the shape of the Allosaurus on the front of the pumpkin, and the Barosaurus shining out of the back onto the wall. Watch out Barosaurus, that Allosaurus looks hungry!

Here are the close ups of the individual animals, Allosaurus on the left, and Barosaurus on the right (you can almost see his head in this one). And if anyone wants to attempt it themselves, the original stencils I used (with both tail up, and tail down versions!) can be found below. Feel free to use them when carving pumpkins or other melons/gourds for your paleo-themed festivities.
Again, Happy *Belated* Halloween!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted these! I was really wondering what you were gonna do this year.

    ReplyDelete