Greetings!

Welcome to Superoceras, a blog about science and natural history, slightly biased towards paleontology and zoology, but inclusive of all sciences. Started in October of 2009, my goal is to communicate scientific knowledge (and the occasional piece of nonsense) in an informative and entertaining manner. Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, concerns, or criticism at superoceras(at)gmail(dot)com, and follow me on Twitter @Superoceras for all that and more in 140 characters or less!

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Maryland Dinosaurs!

Sorry for the brief hiatus after Darwin/Thanksgiving week. My final weeks of classes and work were starting to catch up with me, but the good news is that it's almost over and winter break is right around the corner. That means I can put a lot more time into some substantial posts. For now, I just wanted to briefly mention some other exciting news from that week.

On November 7, 2009, the Maryland-National Parks and Planting Commission and the Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation opened Maryland's first Dinosaur Park just south of Laurel, MD. The park is open to the public every other Saturday from noon to 4:00PM, and in only its second week, a nine-year-old Virgina girl discovered a caudal vertebrae from a theropod dinosaur estimated to be around 100 million years old. I'm sorry, but that's AWESOME.

Unlike Calvert Cliffs State Park and Brownie's Beach, you don't get to keep the fossils you might find at the Dinosaur Park, but it's still provides professionals and the public an excellent opportunity to expand their knowledge and understanding of paleontology and science in general, and I completely supports its efforts.

I personally haven't made it out there myself even though I'm only about a half hour away, but I highly recommend that if you're in the area, you check it out. Do you have any other local sites that you recommend for fossil hunting in the MD/DC area? Please let me know so we can spread the information to other local paleo enthusiasts who might stop by Superoceras!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've been following your web site for a while now and finally got the
    courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent work!


    Review my web site; bedravel

    ReplyDelete