Greetings!

Welcome to Superoceras, a blog about science and natural history, slightly biased towards paleontology and zoology, but inclusive of all sciences. Started in October of 2009, my goal is to communicate scientific knowledge (and the occasional piece of nonsense) in an informative and entertaining manner. Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, concerns, or criticism at superoceras(at)gmail(dot)com, and follow me on Twitter @Superoceras for all that and more in 140 characters or less!

Friday, September 17, 2010

New at the Zoo: Elephant Trails (Phase 1)

Friday, finally. I know that once the week finally comes to an end, I'm always looking for something to do, preferably outside. And I think I have my plans for the weekend lined up. Like so many of my weekends, I'll try and spend a chunk of this one at the National Zoo. There has been a lot of stuff going on there recently that I need to check out, and here's one more thing to add to the list. After over two and a half years of preparation and construction, Phase 1 of the Zoo's new "Elephant Trails" is finally open to the public. Huzzah!!!

The first phase of construction included the addition of a new "green" barn, two new expansive outdoor years, the "Elephant Trek" (a sort of exercise trail through the woods for the proboscideans), and the "Elephant Outpost" where you can get hands on with interactive exhibits, and take in spectacular views of the animals in their yards. I can't wait to see it all, and it should be a wonderful, fall weekend to do just that.

Take a virtual tour of the exhibit, check out the site plan for future renovations, and learn more about the "Elephant Trails" campaign at the National Zoo's elephant website.

Photo of Ambika, one of the Zoo's female Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) in her new yard, from the FONZ/Smithsonian National Zoological Park website.

1 comment:

  1. Very exciting! I've heard great things about this new exhibit and now it's finally opening. This adds to many other great new elephant exhibits opening across the USA.

    Allen Nyhuis, Coauthor: America's Best Zoos

    ReplyDelete