Greetings!

Welcome to Superoceras, a blog about science and natural history, slightly biased towards paleontology and zoology, but inclusive of all sciences. Started in October of 2009, my goal is to communicate scientific knowledge (and the occasional piece of nonsense) in an informative and entertaining manner. Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, concerns, or criticism at superoceras(at)gmail(dot)com, and follow me on Twitter @Superoceras for all that and more in 140 characters or less!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Drill, baby, drill!", now on Discovery Networks

I really try to keep religion, politics, and anything of the like off of Superoceras. But I'd be naive to think that I'd be able to do so all the time. I feel like this issue is relevant in some way to my normal musings here, so I'm going to bring it up. But I won't go into to much detail, because as much as I wish what I'm writing about wasn't happening in the first place, and as much as I want to change it, I'm not willing to waste a lot of "breath" on this issue. I've blogged about it before, but have come to the conclusion that some people just don't deserve that much of my attention.

Here's the short version. Sarah Palin is being paid millions of dollars to do a show on The Learning Channel (TLC). It's going to be called "Sarah Palin's Alaska". Discovery Networks doesn't seem to see a conflict of interest between it's mission statement, and Sarah Palin's reputation as an enemy of wildlife and the environment. In fact, they are so into selling themselves out now, that the first episode of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" is going to feature another "reality celebrity", Kate Gosselin, in an effort to cross promote her new TLC show.

The fact that "Sara Palin's Alaska" was ever even considered on this network is completely ridiculous. I'm not trying to knock wilderness/hunting/survival enthusiasts. But this woman is a joke, and anything she's doing is simply for money and fame. There is nothing anyone can learn from her aside from how to throw away a government job, and play around on the internet all day. I'm not sure who said it first, but I've seen the quote floating around the interwebs, so I'll say it too: having Sarah Palin host a show on any of the Discovery Networks is like having Michael Vick host the Westminster Kennel Club dog show. It just doesn't make sense.

If you're so inclined, follow any of the individual links in this sentence. All go to different petitions urging Discovery Communications to pull the plug on this show. There are more out there too, as well as Facebook groups to join, and other ways to get in touch with Discovery and let them know what you think about their decision to run "Sarah Palin's Alaska". It's a huge disappointment that the network that brought us "Mythbusters", "Shark Week", and the future "Reign of the Dinosaurs" could also bring us something featuring Sarah "drill, baby, drill" Palin. Am I being a little dramatic? Perhaps. But I think it's warranted. This blog is about science and life on Earth. And Sarah Palin doesn't stand for, respect, (or believe in) either, of that much I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment