Greetings!

Welcome to Superoceras, a blog about science and natural history, slightly biased towards paleontology and zoology, but inclusive of all sciences. Started in October of 2009, my goal is to communicate scientific knowledge (and the occasional piece of nonsense) in an informative and entertaining manner. Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, concerns, or criticism at superoceras(at)gmail(dot)com, and follow me on Twitter @Superoceras for all that and more in 140 characters or less!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The 2010 Paleo Project Challenge

Good morning! I just want to do a quick plug for Andy Farke of The Open Source Paleontologist and Dave Hone of Dave Hone's Archosaur Musings who have joined forces once more to institute the 2010 Paleo Project Challenge. The idea behind it is a good one...
The Paleo Project Challenge
Do you have a paper that just needs the finishing touches before it heads off to publication? Is there some half-prepped fossil sitting in a cabinet in the lab? Have you started and finished a big blog post half a dozen times, but never pulled the trigger? Is that masterpiece rendering of a live Tylosaurus still sitting on the easel? Stop sitting around, and finish it!
And the rules are simple...
Here are the rules:
1) Indicate your willingness to participate in the Paleo Project Challenge (PPC) in the blog comment section. You should at a minimum indicate the category it falls under (paper, blog, art, or whatever), and the project (if you can - we totally understand the need for secrecy in some cases!).
2) Do the work! You have until December 31, 2010. Remember, we're all watching.
3) Once you're done, celebrate!
Will you accept the challenge? Despite the fact that I'm far from professional, and that my goals are far from relevant to the paleontological community , I have a few I'd like to reach by the end of the year. They are as follows:

Education: Take a course or practice test, and actually sign up for the GRE so I can start applying to graduate programs.

Art: Submit one piece to each of the ART Evolved "Time Capsules" (9 pieces total)

Blog: Overhaul the template and design of my blog, as well as create a new banner.

That of course, is in addition to submitting all 31 pieces for the Art Evolved "Pink Dinos" fundraiser this month, and attempting to read at least one journal article a week so I can have some content to provide for my readers. I think I can handle it. And if not, public commitment (and shaming) will hold me to it, for sure. Fellow paleophiles, get out there and join the Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment